B. Answer questions for Episode 2 of The Adventure of English DVD
1. . What are the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles?
2. How did the marriage of Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine affect the evolution of the English language?
3. What is chivalry? What does it include?
4. What system defined social relationships?
5. What happened to English words when French words came in?
6. Why didn’t French engulf English?
7. What happened in 1348 that decimated the English population? Who survived?
8. When did English replace Latin and French as the language of state in England?
9. What made Chaucer well placed to become English’s literary champion in the late 14th century?
10. What was so extraordinary about The Canterbury Tales?
11. Relay the story of Thomas à Becket, Archbishop of Canterbury.
C. FINISH reading the Prologue - begin filling out this handout:
Link to Google Spreadsheet:
Just for fun: Monty Python and The Holy Grail